From 1 September 2016, security agencies must meet the Progressive Wage Model wage and training requirements for security officers who are Singapore citizens or permanent residents.
The Progressive Wage Model (PWM) for security officers was developed by the Security Tripartite Cluster (STC). The PWM will be adopted under the licensing scheme for security agencies, administered by the Police Licensing and Regulatory Department (PLRD).
The PWM requirements cover all Singaporeans and Singapore permanent residents (PRs) employed in outsourced security jobs. Employers are encouraged to incorporate the principles of progressive wages into the wage structure of their foreign security officers.
The PWM is a five-level career progression model. It features:
Specific training requirements that tap on the Singapore Workforce Skills Qualifications for Security (Security WSQ). This ensures that security officers are equipped with the skills needed to carry out their jobs.
Progressive wages are pegged for each level. This ensures that security officers are paid wages that correspond with their skills and productivity.
Chief Security Officer (At least 2 years as a senior security supervisor + 3 diploma modules)
- Supervision management
- Form and lead security watch groups
- Security and contingency planning for major or large events
Senior Security Supervisor ≥ $1,700 (At least 2 years as a security supervisor + 4 advance modules OR Full advanced certificate)
- In charge of CCTV, central alarm or fire command centre
- Conduct security audits and risk assessment
- General supervision
Security Supervisor ≥ $1,500 (At least 2 years as a senior security officer + 1 Advance Licensing Unit + 2 advance modules)
- Incident management and reporting
- Direct supervision
- Execute evacuation plans and exercises
Senior security officer ≥ $1,300 (At least 1 year as a security officer + 2 certificate modules)
- Operate security and safety systems
- Regulate traffic (Road Traffic Act)
- Monitor CCTV, central alarm or fire command centre
- Assist ministries, statutory boards or government departments in law enforcement duties
- Key press management
Security officer ≥ $1,100 (2 Basic Licensing Units)
- Patrolling and guarding
- Access and egress control
- Incident response
- Acting as a bodyguard or bouncer